inspect & report
domestic FAQ
landords FAQ

domestic electrical testing & inspection

Why should I have my electrical installation tested?
There are around 9,000* fires in homes every year, which are directly linked to faulty electrical wiring. Having your installation tested proves that the installation is safe and gives you peace of mind.
* Figures based on the national statistics available from ODPM

Why do I require an electrical safety certificate when it is not law to have one?
From 2007 the homebuyers pack will come into force, which will require a current electrical certificate. If you are thinking of selling your house you will not be able to do so with out an electrical certificate.

How long is the certificate valid for?
Typically the certificates are valid for a maximum of 10 years. However it is up to the tester too specify an amount of time based on the test results, experience and judgement.

Why is the government bringing in new laws (Part P)?
The current regulations of the IEE (Institution of Electrical Engineers) wiring regulations BS 7671 was issued in 1991. It states that every electrical system shall be tested before being brought into service and have an electrical safety certificate issued. It is only since the Part P law has come in that the current regulations are starting to be implemented correctly.

How does this relate to the electrical safety certificate?
The electrical safety certificate ensures that the fixed electrical wiring is in a satisfactory state of repair and is able to remain in service.

What happens if I do not have one?
Your life and property could be at risk.

Can this affect my insurance?
Yes! Some insurance companies will not offer cover until a safety electrical certificate has been issued. Increasingly insurance companies are becoming aware of the electrical regulations and are adjusting their policies to suit.

How can I avoid these problems?
Get your property tested.

What is a special location
Special locations are the bathroom, kitchen, garden, pool, spa & sauna etc.

Can I get a builder to do the works and then get a registered electrician to issue the test certificates afterwards?
No! The individual or company that carries out the works is responsible for the design, installation, the testing and issuing of any certificates. Any electrician issuing a test certificate for work that has not been completed by him is breaking the law as stipulated in ‘Part P’